Helen Keller International Recruits Nutrition Program Officer December 2012/2013
Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
HKI began working in Nigeria in June 1999 and its programs benefit over 11 million people. Current programs include Vitamin A Supplementation, Infant and young child feeding and Neglected Tropical Disease Control.
Helen Keller International (HKI) is looking to hire suitable candidates to fill the following position within its rapidly expanding program portfolio:
Job Title: Nutrition Program Officer
Vitamin A supplementation
HKI works closely with the government of Nigeria to ensure high coverage of more than 80% of the target population with vitamin A. HKI has supported the training of health workers, program monitoring, community education and the delivery of vitamin A capsules. In 2001, HKI integrated vitamin A supplementation into Community Directed Treatment with Ivermectin (CDTI) as a cost-effective, sustainable strategy and a strong platform for community mobilization. Vulnerable groups, including children 6-59 months old and post-partum women within 8 weeks of delivery, were targeted. Since 2009, HKI aligned with the Federal Government of Nigeria and adopted the Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks (MNCHW) as a high impact strategy to distribute Vitamin A capsules alongside other low-cost interventions that have been proven to be highly effective in reducing mortality rates and improving maternal and child health. HKI supports the implementation of the MNCHW in 10 states of the federation through funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
Under the supervision of the Program Manager Nutrition/Fortification, the Program Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health to develop annual nutrition strategic plans
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of nationwide bi-annual VAS through Child Health Days/Weeks and integration of VAS into routine care
- Implement and monitor programs to support scaling up of infant and young child nutrition at state and local government levels
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning and review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop IEC strategies and tools to support nutrition programs
- Actively participate in key relevant national and state level nutrition technical forums
- Work closely with State Nutrition Officers to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of COPs, technical and program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
Support the capacity building of nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
- Minimum of Masters degree in Nutrition, Food and Dietetics,
- Or Bachelors in Nutrition plus a Masters in Public Health or similar related field
- Minimum of 2 years experience
Application Closing Date
7th December, 2012
How To Apply
All applicants should submit electronically (1) Curriculum vitae; and (2) A cover letter (application letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org.